Saturday, September 19, 2009

Sugarbaby Saturday & Supergrandma's Shrimp Salad




This Sugarbaby Saturday has been brought to you by PB&J. Keeping kids full and inspiring funny faces for a long damn time.
And on to the recipe.
Supergrandma used to make this simple pasta salad all the time when I was a kid.
I love it. My kids love it.
In fact I haven't met anyone who didn't like it, except for those few strange folks who don't like seafood. Weirdos.
Anyways, it is so easy to make, that whenever our High School speech class had to do a demonstration speech, I demonstrated how to make this.
It was either that or French kissing and I'm not sure Mr. Wilms would have approved. Although I bet I would have had lots of volunteers.
Point of that little story was that even the High School kids loved it.

You will need:
two cans of tiny shrimp
1 bag of alphabet pasta (you can find this in the mexican food section and p.s. to all you locals, we have this at the store in the dollar section)
celery
onion
mayo
seasoning
First off, put a pot of water on to boil for the alphabet pasta.
And a little note about this pot.
I love this pot.
My GG got this for me a few years ago and I use it at the very least twice a week.
The built in strainer is so handy and it goes right in the dishwasher.
I wish I could tell you what brand it was, but I don't know.
Slice your celery very thinly.
You will need about 1/2 cup.

Then dice your onion.
Red or white it doesn't matter.
You'll need 1/4 cup depending on how your family feels about onions.
Open your two cans of tiny shrimp and drain all the liquid out.
Put the shrimp in a large serving bowl.

Add the celery and onions to the shrimp.
Once the water is boiling. Add the pasta and cook for about 10 minutes or until done.
You want the pasta a bit firm for this recipe.
Drain off the water and add the pasta to the bowl of shrimp, celery, and onion.
Add 1/2 cup mayo. I used light mayo cause ya know....always on a diet.
But you can use whatever you want.
I seasoned mine with Cavendars. My mom always used Nature's. I think.
Use whatever you have on hand and like for yourself.
Gently mix it all up and chill in the fridge for at least 4 hours.

7 comments:

  1. LOL She's so adorable!
    I especially love the look on her face in the second picture down:) Too cute!

    Thank you so much for the recipe! I can customize it for my slow carb diet and that's just too cool! Yessss! Awesome variety!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess Hubby and I are both weirdos. LOL Neither one of us eats seafood. I eat the occasional fried catfish, but that's about it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a weirdo, too. I don't really eat much seafood; however, I do like that tiny canned shrimp. This recipe sounds good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How does this kid keep getting *cuter*? It doesn't seem possible. She looks like she's wondering why you're taking so many photos of peanut butter LOL

    Shrimp salad on its way at our house---I could live on seafood alone; I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. She's too cute for words!

    And my word verification: lumplate!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for all the kind cuteness words ladies!

    And sorry I called non-seafood eaters weirdos. I sincerely apologize. It's just so foreign to me when someone doesn't eat fish or shellfish cause we couldn't live without it around here.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Her hair is SOOOOOOO cute here. I must try this, still. I think it is weird when people don't eat seafood too. (or hot sauce)

    ReplyDelete

Now play nice and for every comment you leave, I'll buy you a pony.