Thursday, September 5, 2013

Have Your Ideal Day!




I might be in love. Tara Stiles has stolen my attention. I am slowly working my way through all her videos. Practicing yoga more and dabbling in meditation. It makes me happy. So I flow with it.

Just like we flow through our school days. Guys, it is so cool this year. We are just making our way through the day doing this and that and learning and creating and I love it. Her are a few Instagram shots.


Mornings are for taking it easy. Waking up easy. Visiting the chickens. Tending the garden.

 
 
With a bit of back porch relaxing before starting the school day.




 
 
Following the method outline in The Well-Trained Mind (which is now my homeschooling bible), our weekly science study consists of picking out an animal and learning all we can about it. This week was the ape family. Specifically the great apes. It all boils down to us reading a lot and discussing it thoroughly and then they do a notebook page. I ask them questions and they are expected to respond in full sentences, which I then record. When they are older they will be writing their responses themselves, but for now that would be too tedious and would kill their desire to do it again. At this age it is supposed to be feast for the mind. Give them as much information as you can. Don't drill them with handwriting exercises during narration, that will take all the fun out of it. But do have them illustrate what they learned from the lesson.
 
 
Granted its only the first week but I am truly digging the curriculum choices this year. I'll try and post often on what we are doing and what is working and what is not.
 
Until then, be like the trees and just sway.....
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Now play nice and for every comment you leave, I'll buy you a pony.