Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Smothered Seared Ahi Tuna with Mashed Turnips

After a vigorous run, and woowee was today's run vigorous, I like to get down and dirty in the kitchen. I'm usually either whipping up breakfast for me and Sugarbaby, if it was an early morning run. Or lunch for the husband and I, if it was a midday run.

Today I decided that I am a genius, because this was my creation out of what I had on hand. It helps to keep your fridge and pantry stocked with awesomeness in which to create with. That's how I look at it anyways. Not so much cooking, but more of creating a masterpiece.





Serves 2

2 ahi tuna steaks
1 tsp. olive oil
splash balsamic vinegar
rosemary citrus sea salt seasoning
1/2 tbsp. butter
1/4 c. chopped red bell pepper
3 medium mushrooms minced
1 tsp. minced garlic
less than 1/4 c. sliced black olives
1 tbsp. capers
splash red wine
1/4 c. heavy whipping cream


2 large turnips, peeled and diced
1/2 tbsp.butter
splash cream
salt/pepper


Put diced turnips in a heavy saucepan, cover with water. Boil until fork tender.

While turnips are cooking......
Add olive oil to cast iron skillet. Pat tuna steaks dry and season with rosemary citrus sea salt. Place tuna in pan and add splash of balsamic vinegar to each steak. Sear tuna a couple minutes each side. Remove from pan and place in 350degree oven to continue cooking. Keep an eye on the tuna steaks to make sure they don't overcook and dry out.

Add 1/2 tbsp. butter to the skillet and throw in red bell peppers. Saute' for a minute before adding garlic and mushrooms. Splash in a bit of red wine. Use wooden spoon to scrape it all around. Saute' for a few more minutes. Add black olives and capers and saute' on low. Pour in the 1/4 cup cream and continue to scrape the pan. Turn heat off once thickened.


Once turnips are tender, drain off water. Add in butter and a splash of cream with sea salt and course ground pepper. Mash with hand or immersion blender or potato masher.

Place mashed turnips on plate. Top with a tuna steak and then smother with half of the veggie cream mixture.

Enjoy!



2 comments:

  1. Amazing! I wish I had your skills to whip up something so fancy.

    ReplyDelete

Now play nice and for every comment you leave, I'll buy you a pony.