Tuesday, January 6, 2009

No Lap Dance For You

I've been far to busy reading everyone else's blog posts and perusing the internetz for random things. It has really put a dent in my personal blogging. Also, I have a small case of writer's block. It happens. Half the month words just flow from my brain like tequila in Cancun on Spring break. The other half, it's like that drippy faucet you can't quite turn off and you feel bad for wasting water. Or words. Whatever.

Back in November, the hubby purchased me a super sharp sushi knife and a complete sushi set to go with. Sushi off the internetz, where would we be without priority shipping and preservatives? In all actuality, it works pretty well. It came with roasted sheets of nori, dried wasabi powder, pickled ginger, soy sauce, rice vinegar, and sushi vinegar. Also the rolling mat, rice paddle, and a big ole bag of sushi rice. You supply the fillings of course. We've I've tried it twice and the stuff isn't half bad. It's as good as you're going to get in the middle of Arkansas.

The hubby's birthday is fast approaching and it has become evident he has a penchant for Asian food. I'm not sure if the sushi kit was because I like sushi or because he likes sushi, but I thought I would continue the trend he set. Unfortunately, he's not looking forward too it and he even went so far as to ask if we could just pretend that it's not his birthday when it actually is. No party, no small family gathering, no special birthday booty. He failed to say no presents though.


I hit the ricepot jackpot when I found Asian Food Grocer. I added a wok and his and hers chopsticks to my cart. Then I came across their bulk nori and threw that in too. My little sis Ada, who is expecting, loves the sushi as well and requested an Asian themed baby shower. 100 pairs of disposable chopsticks for $1.75, yes I think so.

Since he requested that his birthday be so low key, I'm thinking of putting the wok on the stove, piling up rice, beef, broccoli, etc. beside it and leaving a little card. "Happy Birthday Hubby, now cook dinner."

3 comments:

  1. I got a sushi kit last year and I have never used it. Still shelling $50 at the local Igibon. Gonna go check it out now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i don't think making him cook dinner on his bday is unreasonable, hell i get told on a regular holiday or flu basis "but you're still the mom"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amen! I've never had a man bake me OR buy me a birthday cake, so I say, yeah, let the man cook. If he likes Asian food, that sounds like a wonderful present to me. Good luck with the birthday.

    ReplyDelete

Now play nice and for every comment you leave, I'll buy you a pony.