Monday, June 27, 2016

UNRAVELING MY FAITH: Thanks For Clearing That Up

This post is part of a series I wrote over the last 6 months and am just now publishing...






One of my main issues over the years was trying to reconcile what I had been taught about creation with my belief in evolution.

I am a science girl.

Not that in I want to participate in scientific discovery or pour over pie charts, case studies, and the like. Specifically in that I have a high amount of respect and belief in scientific findings and theories. Scientists estimate the Earth to be around 4 billion years old. Creationists believe it is only 6000 years old. That is one hell of an age gap.

So for many many years I just couldn't fall in line with what Genesis said according to the church teachings I had sporadically received. And then, this week, after binge listening to back episodes of  Catholic Stuff You Should Know, my faith and scientific beliefs came to a compromise. I had long lamented that surely Genesis was just being interpreted wrong by the Young Earth crowd. Who was to say that God's seven days were really the same time span we go by. I mean...he is God after all.

This specific podcast, Creation and Evolution, nearly caused me to have a car wreck. I was so stunned, amazed, and absolutely overjoyed that this church didn't stubbornly hold tight to the 7 days translation in a literal sense. One more door opened for me in those 17 minutes it took to listen to it.

If you get a chance, please check them out. It's free to listen on itunes and on their website. Also, Father John is pretty cute.








No comments:

Post a Comment

Now play nice and for every comment you leave, I'll buy you a pony.